This guide is recommended for customers who wish to provide cover for their door or window against rain/snow or sunlight.
Step 1: Begin by measuring the width and length of the door or window.
- Width: The distance from the wall you wish to cover with the awning.
- Length: The total length of the door + desired overhang.
- A minimum of 6″ overhang on each side is recommended.
Step 2: Determine the height where the awning will be installed.
- Height: Distance from the ground to the top of the door.
- Check for any objects that could get in the way of the installation. For example, keystone, roof, security cameras, etc.
Step 3: Decide on the model to be used to cover the door or window.
- PC2b (25″) awning is recommended to cover windows.
- PC3 (38″) awning is recommended for doors when:
- The measured height is 8 feet or lesser.
- PC4 (48″) awning is recommended for doors when:
- The measured height is greater than 8 feet.
We do not recommend installing the awning below 7 feet as the end of the awning will end up being 6 feet or lower.
Step 4: Order the awning via our Shop page or by filling out the Contact Us page if you require the installation service.
- Select the model of the awning based on your results from Step 3.
- Choose the colour of the bracket and the panel
- Determine the bracket colour to either match the colour of the wall or the railing
- Determine the panel colour to either maximize (clear) or limit (tinted brown) the amount of sunlight
- Type in the length + overhang determined from Step 1.
Common issues for above door awnings.
- Keystone in the middle of the door.
- The issue can be resolved by installing an even number of brackets and cutting the rear aluminum piece along the keystone.
- Not enough room between the roof and the door.
- The issue can be resolved by installing the brackets on the sides of the door but please make sure the distance between the brackets does not exceed 4 feet and the awning does not get in the way of the door.
- Storm doors
- Please make sure there’s enough room for the door to open.
- This can be determined by checking the drop-down amount of the brackets.